Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2012

The Beginning

After years of procrastination, I am finally taking the plunge into blogging. I really don't know how long I can sustain it or what will come out of it. But, one thing is for certain, I am going to speak out my mind on two things that I am dead passionate about - HR and Leadership. I hope that through this blog, I can channel my thoughts and ideas across, hoping to influence and impact people with the only constant in life (besides tax) - CHANGE.

So, what's the big idea and motivation behind this blog?.     

Well, to put it bluntly, I am sick and tired at how HR, as a profession, is being perceived and treated at home here, in Malaysia. For far too long and too often, we have had a greater part of the business and corporate leaders delude HR into believing the cliche, "people are our most important asset". Sad to say, the reality on the ground is far from the truth. From where I have traveled through in my short corporate career, the evidence and commitment has been nothing less than downright lukewarm lip service. Yes, there is no denying that I have endured many success stories. But, almost all turned into short-lived memories, soon after I moved on. Pseudo buy-ins to HR change initiatives have become a common trademark and fashionable facade of many business today, in painting the picture that there is progress. But, the question is, "does it have the long term impact of sustainability?". Right after I left the company, the book review sessions I initiated ceased to continue.           

As a true blue HR practitioner, I have seen and experienced enough to know the kind of strategic and cultural challenges that Malaysian HR has to face, from both sides of the fence - employees as well as employers. All we hear on the HR front is newly coined phrases like war on talent, employee engagement, talent acquisition, retention strategy, seat at the table, etc. But, do you really see genuine and lasting changes happening on the ground, enough to convince you that HR is indeed indispensable to people progress and organisational growth?.             

This blog is dedicated to the spirit of the "Ronin" with the single cause or mission - to ignite a wave of radical thinking in the mind of readers on the topic of HR and Leadership. And, in doing so, question and challenge the conventional notion of how it has been all these while and to seek within the answers that will liberate us from the myopia of short-termist management thinking that is holding HR back from helping business and corporate leaders gain the only competitive edge they ever need to survive or sustain - PEOPLE.

As a species, we are so blessed to be endowed with superior intelligence. We even have the benefit of the past wisdom to learn from those before us and our own rude awakening to failures. Yet, we often fail to use hindsight experience to adapt and propel a better future ahead. As Einstein said, "you can't do the same thing over and expect different results" and "you can't solve a problem at the level at which it was created". The path we take is sprinkled with good values to guide us. What do we do it is very much a matter of choice?.   

So this is my journey. I hope to make a difference to my readers and, likewise, hope their comments too make a difference to me.                

Cheers & Salam 1Malaysia.                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment